Friday, September 19, 2008

When it rains it pours

Rain has got to be on of my most favorite things in the world. To sit in a warm place and listen to the sound of it and smell it and to watch it is one of the most relaxing comforting things for me. I can remember loving rainy days from a very young age, sitting in an open garage or breeze way bundled up in blankets reading and watching the rain or dancing carefree in a downpour, jumping in the drainage ditches and puddles.

 

One of my fondest memories is the great Creation flood of 1989. There we were camping, going to concerts, building stick houses in the woods, covered in dirt and running about dressed like hooligans (because mom was nowhere in sight) when it was sighted in the distance, the giant looming black clouds closing in on Agape Valley. It drew closer and closer and then it began to rain, not that hard at first but it picked up quickly and showed no signs of slowing down. Before we knew it puddles turned into small streams, which grew and grew until we were wading in it. Initially we crowed in the giant striped tent to stay dry until at some point we gave up that idea and joined the masses trying to save the washed away tents and belongings. From there on it is a blur of mud and water. We of course put on our swimsuits and frolicked about, loving every minute of being allowed to play in the mud and swim, oh yes you heard me, SWIM! I distinctly remember a canoe, I wouldn’t put money on it but I swear it happened. What fun we had that year as kids carefree in the pouring rain, followed by days of mud, we couldn’t ask for anything more.

 

It seems however as I grow older and have less time to sit and enjoy the rain, it has become more of an inconvenience. To be met by rain on an early work day as I rush out the door means wet hair, clothes and bags as well as slow traffic, because no one in Ohio can drive unless its sunny and seventy outside. Not to mention camping in the rain as an adult, not quite as much fun as being a carefree kid. It never fails, even the best “waterproof” tents still leak in the lightest rain. And I can’t tell you the last time I was able to just sit and enjoy a rainy day with a book and a warm drink. In spite of my new feelings towards rain, given a rainy day not filled with obligations I would still love to spend it just enjoying the sight, sound and smell of the it. 

3 comments:

Patty said...

Bea - u -ti - ful blog!

I remember thinking how glad I was NOT to be at Creation that year. (Becca was a baby. That was my excuse - although I do remember going when Em was a baby...) I was glad not to be there so you all could come home all pumped about the mud without my having put a damper on it.

Papa tells of tents pushed up against cars so firmly with water that lots of people tugging couldn't get the tent free.

I do think he also mentioned a canoe...

I hope and pray that someday very soon there will be a storm and you will have nothing better to do than grab a cup 'o joe and head to your front porch with a good book.

Katherine Michael said...

Cynth. This creation trip is one of my fondest memories. I think we frolicked around in the pink and black leopard bathing suits for several days. I also remember the canoe. I want dad to tell us if this was really as dramatic as we make it out to be. Everything seems more exaggerated when you a little.

Great post by the way.

Rebecca Charlene said...

love this.

i feel you, sis--i was just talking about how i wished i could sit around with a book for a day and read... but i just can't seem to be able to. maybe one day when we're both on break we'll find a day to do just such a thing.

i love you.
-b