Thursday, November 13, 2008

Football


Autumn brings back tons of memories. Some of my most fond memories are of watching OSU football games with friends and family. Countless times, In Columbus I have shouted "O-H" fondly replied by "I-O" from a random stranger. I have adored gray sweater vests for at least 7 years and can't get enough of "Michigan-is-stupid" jokes. However, this past season I see this tradition of engrossing myself in touchdowns and quarterbacks slipping through my fingers and I am not 100% why.

When I lived in Ohio and Indiana I was always the first one to be in the living room on the couch wearing my Scarlet and Gray at kick off. I think the decline might partially be because the OSU games aren't consistently aired on T.V. down here in the south. The only games you get are SEC stinking FL/Auburn/Bama games...OSU games are only aired when the Bucks are playing a major competitor, probably from the SEC. I also think, contributing to the down slide is the fact that EVERYONE down here is a massive Tennessee Vols fans. It's kinda gross. Let's just say I hate the color orange now.

However, I have come to the conclusion that the main reason I am not an avid watcher of the OSU football this season is because I don't have the family/friend support to do so. It is really tough being a Bucks fan by yourself down here with no one to eat chili with, cheer with, laugh with, cry with, and celebrate with. Non-Buckeye fans are very critical and angry with the Bucks for some reason. I know some of you are thinking, "Man, what a fair-weather fan." but I promise you I am not. My blood runs scarlet and gray no matter what part of the country I am in. Let me close with this about being a fan of The Ohio State University in the south... it's harder than it looks people. It's harder than it looks.

3 comments:

Patty said...

hahaha

Next week, baby. Michigan. Papa's makin' chili and wings and we're into it! Go Bucks!!

SMamone-Kolcun said...

there is an alumni party every osu football game at some hotel down there that you could go to to watch the games with other buckeye fans...not sure where, but I know christine watched the championship game there last year so you could ask here :)

Rebecca Charlene said...

nuh uh! i wanna be in cbus for the michigan game so bad!

the other day, when i was in chipotle off of the belmont stop of the el (here in chicago) i saw a guy wearing an OSU sweatshirt. i conspired quietly with my friends until, "one, two, three! O-H!" we all looked at him eagerly. He gave a weak "I-O" back. i think we embarrased him.

he should get over introversion if he wants to be a true fan.

oh well. i felt nostalgic.

-b