Monday, October 20, 2008

Mexico

I have never really been a huge fan of the beach. I always liked having a tan and being in the sun, but didn't enjoy partaking of tans and sun from the Beach. First of all, the ocean scares me. Blame jaws, blame eels, blame Steve Irwin, but I freak out when I can't see my feet underwater. I don't like not knowing what is lurking under the murky dark waters. Something could come up and EAT ME! Second of all, I hate having sand all over my body, which is inevitable when you are tall and NO towels are ever long enough. Third of all, let's get real here, bathing suits just aren't the best thing for me to wear.

However, I have had one really awesome experience with the beach, and that was on my honeymoon in the Riviera Maya, Mexico. This beach was covered in pure white, soft sliky sand. The ocean was clear and blue and you could see the reef at the bottom. They had these little swinging beds that you could lay on, away from the sand in the cool shade of palm branches. In addition, the resort workers would come up and serve me unlimited fancy drinks and give Josh and I 15 minute back massages at the snap of a finger. Life can't get much better than that.

I discovered on this trip that Josh has a similar feeling for the beach that I do, except even more exaggerated. Even though I am afraid of the ocean, I still wanted to brave water to snorkel and look at fish. Josh went with me. As we were snorkeling (in 3.5 feet of water) my 6' 5" husband would panic every 30 seconds when a little bit of water got into his snorkel. It was very cute. And an eye opener on how both of us feel about the ocean.

For me, I will just stick to the pool or Mexico from here on out.

picture of me and Josh (my husband) on our honeymoon in Mexico.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I finally figured out why I had that fear on our honeymoon. It is because my dad was stung by a sting ray in the leg when we were younger and ever since then a terror would come over me in the water. That an I was the most uncoordinated water person in the world. That is… until I recently started swimming laps so I can be a cool old man when I am 80.

Rebecca Charlene said...

so lovely. if it weren't sin, i would harbor a bit of jealousy at hearing this...